"MY MOTTO"

"MY MOTTO"
LIFE...AND THE THINGS IT BRINGS

Saturday, September 24, 2011

MYELOMALACIA....A HARD THING TO LIVE WITH

Myelomalacia is a pathological term refering the softening of the spinal cord.[1]Hemorrhagic infarction (bleeding) of the spinal cord that can occur as a sequel to acute injury, such as that caused by intervertebral disc extrusion (being forced or pressed out) is the cause of myelomalacia. [2] The disorder causes flaccid paraplegia (impairment of motor function in lower extremities), total areflexia (below normal or absence of reflexes) of the pelvic limbs and anus, loss of deep pain perception caudal (in the coccyx) to the site of spinal cord injury, muscular atrophy (wasting away of muscle tissue), depressed mental state, and respiratory difficulty due to intercostal (muscles that run between the ribs) and diaphragmatic paralysis. [3] Gradual cranial migration of the neurological deficits (problems relating to the nervous system), is known as ascending syndrome and is said to be a typical feature of diffuse myelomalacia. Although clinical signs of myelomalacia are observed within the onset (start) of paraplegia, sometimes they may become evident only in the post-operative period, or even days after the onset of paraplegia. Death from myelomalacia may occur as a result of respiratory paralysis when the ascending lesion (abnormal damaged tissue) reaches the motor nuclei of the phrenic nerves (nerves between the C3-C5 region of the spine) in the cervical (neck) region.

ENOUGH SAID...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

IT WAS 2011 WHEN YOU POSTED ABOUT MYELOMLACIA. HOW ARE YOU TODAY IN YEAR 2015?

skeet65 said...

Hello Lisa. I'm actually doing better and thank you for asking. :)
I wasn't dx'd with Myelomalcia, but have factors that worry me. I do have a scerlotic lesion on C2 and it is giving me some migraines and tension in my neck. Just praying that it doesn't go down my neck any further, to cause this problem of respiratory paralysis. For, when the ascending lesion (abnormal damaged tissue) reaches the motor nuclei of the phrenic nerves (nerves between the C3-C5 region of the spine) in the cervical (neck) region, that is when problems arise.
The Lord is watching over me and you too. Take care and God Bless. ^_^

Unknown said...

I was just diagnosed with myemolacia and chronic cord atrophy. I have burning pain and numbness in both hands and wrist. Pain down left side of neck into shoulder and arm. The first available appointment is not until February 8, 2017. Is it true this is not reversible. My neurosurgeon could not give me very much info on my condition. He just said he couldn't offer me any more help. Very disappointed.

skeet65 said...

So sorry for what you have been going through. God Bless you!!
I can't give you any advice about it being reversible, but you better know that I will be praying for you.

I do not know much about Myomolacia, but pray that God turns things around for you. Now, the docs can get things wrong and they are only human. I would make sure to get another opinion.

Life has so many disappointments, but it also has so many blessings!! Always look at your blessings and try to keep going. Even the littlest blessings in life can turn things around and we have to look for those. Life is worth it!
You take care and prayers sent!! ^_^