"MY MOTTO"

"MY MOTTO"
LIFE...AND THE THINGS IT BRINGS

Monday, September 12, 2011

Questions you might ask relating to illness or symptom(s)

  1. What's wrong with me?
  2. Can you draw a picture or show me what is wrong?
  3. What causes this kind of problem?
  4. Can I give this illness to someone else, and if so, how and for what period of time can I pass this on?
  5. Are there any activities or foods which I should avoid?
  6. When can I return to work or school?
  7. What is the long-term prognosis of my condition?
  8. How can I prevent this from happening again?
  9. How will this problem affect me in the future?
  10. What will happen if I don't treat my condition right away?
  11. What treatment should I follow, including dietary, medical treatment, and lifestyle changes?
  12. When do I need to see the doctor again?
  13. Where can I get more information about my condition?

Questions you might ask about medications that are prescribed to you

  1. What is the name of the medication?
  2. Why do I need this particular medication?
  3. How and when should I take this medication?
  4. How long should I take the medication?
  5. What are the possible side effects of this medication?
  6. Is this medication safe to take with other medications I am taking?
  7. What do I do if side effects occur?
  8. How often will I need to get the medication refilled?
  9. How will I know if the medication is working?
  10. What are the risks of not taking the medication?
  11. Is this a brand name or generic name?
  12. Are there less expensive medications for my condition?

Questions you might ask about pacemakers or implanted defibrillators

  1. How is the pacemaker implanted?
  2. Where will it be located?
  3. Will I be able to see it?
  4. How will I know if it is working?
  5. Does the shock hurt?
  6. Can I go swimming with the pacemaker?
  7. Are there any kinds of equipment or devices that I should stay clear of?
  8. How long to the batteries last?

Questions you might ask about surgery or a procedure

  1. When do I check in to the hospital and where?
  2. What can I expect to happen before the surgery or procedure?
  3. How long will the procedure take?
  4. Can my family go with me?
  5. What effects will the procedure have on me in the short and long term?
  6. What is the doctor's experience in performing the procedure?
  7. What medications will be given to me?
  8. How long will I have to rest at home after the procedure?

Questions you might ask about diagnostic tests or procedures

  1. Why is this test necessary?
  2. What will happen if I do not have the test?
  3. Are there any risks involved?
  4. Will it hurt? If so is there anything I can do to lessen the pain?
  5. Can the doctor perform the test in the office or will I have to go to the hospital or the laboratory?
  6. Is there any preparation for the test?
  7. What are the side effects of the test?
  8. What changes or effects should I report to the doctor?
  9. Who will call me with the results of this test?
  10. How long will it take for me to get the results?

Questions you might ask about a hospital

  1. Is the hospital a teaching hospital?
  2. How many patients have this procedure in this hospital each year?
  3. Is the hospital accredited and by what organization?
  4. Where do I check in? When? What will I need?
  5. Do I need a pre-operative visit to the hospital?
  6. What services does the hospital offer that are specifically helpful to the type of procedure that I am going to have?
  7. What is the hospital's policy on family members staying overnight with the patient?

No comments: